I remember waiting for the Christmas parade to start in downtown Winston Salem this past December. Just before the parade a few thousand people lined both sides of fourth street eagerly awaiting the parade.

I couldn't help but think about preaching the Gospel at full volume in the middle of the street. I also couldn't help but think how inappropriate that would be.

Well that's the million dollar question isn't it. When is it appropriate to share the gospel? Are people really going to hell?

Did God really commission the Church to bring the good news miracles signs and wonders?

Is God really expecting us to penetrate this world with the Gospel?

I guess I would have to say it is absolutely appropriate. We tend to er on the side of caution more worried about how we come across or if this is the right time.

We listen to that voice of sophistication that says " oh that would be inappropriate."

Jesus said "today is the day of salvation" I know we really don't have much persecution in this country maybe it's because were so passive and cautious about bringing the truth.

Here's an account I found of how Timothy was martyred:

Timothy tried to halt a pagan procession of idols, ceremonies, and songs. In response to his preaching of the gospel, the angry pagans beat him, dragged him through the streets, andstoned him to death.

The Christmas parade we watched was probably just as bad as the one Timothy couldn't sit still for. Santa, a Homo float and one with a transvestite waving to all of us. Next time I need to be more bold.

Are we more worried about offending people then offending God?

Is there actually a godly tangible boldness, a cheerful courage available for us to walk in ?

I believe there is!

No comments:

Post a Comment